Friday, November 25, 2011

Momma called the doctor, and the doctor said...

ear infection...first one!:(

Preston has always been a force to reckon with when it come to sleep.  Naps especially.  His nighttime sleep has always been awesome since we first brought him home.  He was sleeping 12 hours uninterrupted by 11 weeks...that is until he hit 5 months.  He began to wake up crying at midnight (he was going to bed around 9 p.m.) every night.  After a few nights I assumed it may be a growth spurt and he was hungry.  Well, it wasn't, as he would only drink a couple ounces out of the bottle.  He also began to awaken more frequently, as in every  few hours.  It was like have a newborn baby ALL over again.  Not only would he wake up often, but he would be screaming crying.  I tried everything:  his diaper, burping, and the usual soothing methods (except for swaddling.  he rolls to his tummy immediately.)  Then, I flipped through my many parenting books and looked online, which many suggested that 4 months is a time where this often happens because their sleep cycles are becoming more like ours (whatever that means).  Another suggestion: Teething.  "A-HA!  That's it!" I thought.  I mean, he gnaws on EVERY. SINGLE. THING.  It's so funny to hold his little hands up as he stands, and his head is constantly turning from side to side attempting to fit both of our hands in his mouth.

Well, fast forward a few weeks. We went to Jekyll Island for my cousin's wedding.  He got there on Friday afternoon, in which he was fine.  Happy and everything!

First time seeing the ocean.  (From my phone..sorry they are not too clear!)
    
  





Uncle Miller 



He slept ALL night that night, but it was probably because he slept with us.  The hotel brought is a crib for the room, but the sides were so tall I couldn't reach over them to get him at all.





 Saturday, we visited with the Strickland family on St. Simons. Again, he acted fine!  He didn't seem to interested in eating much that day, but I just assumed it was a) teething (he kept chewing on the nipple) and b) he was distracted.



I have waited ALL summer for him to be able to wear his crab outfit!



The ladies love some Preston!






That night Miller, my brother-in-law watched Preston at the hotel for us so we could enjoy ourselves at the reception.  When we got back around 10 p.m., I noticed Preston's face was really pink, and he felt really hot to the touch.  He wasn't acting funny at all though. He was asleep until we walked in and I started making a big deal about his red face.  At first I thought that maybe he got some sun while we were out that day.  I took his temperature just in case and it was 102.7 degrees! I immediately called Youthcare here in Valdosta.  They told me bathe him in lukewarm water, strip him down to his diaper and a shirt/onesie, and administer some Tylenol.  I packed anything and everything for the trip...except Tylenol!  The closest gas station on the island only had Children's Motrin, which luckily the hospital said I could give him because he is so close to being 6 months.  His fever broke within the hour thank goodness.  The next morning he was acting like normal again.  We came back to Valdosta, and since he seemed to feel okay, we attended Miss Amelie's birthday party.  He seemed to enjoy himself, then got grumpy towards the end (he typically stays awake 2 hours before napping), so I helped him nap on me for a bit while I ate.

(Stolen from Facebook. I was tagged in this picture.)


When we got home, we checked his temperature again.  By this point he was SCREAMING.  He was so clingy and seemed in so much pain.  Like if you touched him at all (other than hold him) he would let out a yell.  His temperature was 103.5!  Mind you, this was taken from under the arm, which the hospital said that it means his temperature is really one degree higher than that because taking the temp under the arm runs one degree less.  Youthcare had us do the same thing that we did the night before.  She also told me to go buy Pedialyte, which he wouldn't drink at all.  He ran a fever off and on all night (he slept with us so I could monitor his body temp by touch, plus he was so clingy that he slept with one hand grabbing my shirt.)  I had already decided that Monday morning, I was taking him to Winnersville Walk-In clinic, which Preston's new doctor runs.  They open at 8:30, but I was there waiting in the parking lot at 8:15, along with a few other parents.  They were nice enough to open the doors 10 minutes early for us.  This was our first visit ever to that practice, as we just switched to them.  Needless to say, I had all kinds of paperwork to fill out, and the room was getting CROWDED pretty quickly!

Preston playing while waiting to get seen

       
Eventually he was seen my the doctor there.  All while he was telling me that Preston has an infection in his left ear, my little man was just grinning ear to ear at him!  The doctor told me that his infection comes from teething, so there was nothing I could have done to prevent it.  He said other than that ear, he looked and sounded perfectly.  He also said I have a very handsome little guy. Ummm...DUH!  :)  He also asked about Preston's sleeping and eating habits.  I told him how he began to stop sleeping through the night a few weeks ago, and he said that it was most likely his ear was hurting but wasn't showing any physical signs yet.  I felt HORRIBLE!  My poor baby has probably been in pain for weeks, and I never knew it.  At least now I know that if something changes all of a sudden from the usual, to look into it more closely.

Even when sick and his feet are still appetizing.




Preston seems to be feeling better.  He hasn't been running a temperature anymore, and his eating is catching back up now.  He actually takes 6 oz now 4 times a day!  His naps are extending finally again, but they haven't been in the crib.  After weeks of broken sleep, then those two nights of running a fever, I was beyond exhausted.  I napped with him on our bed, which he seemed to really enjoy.  He is such a snuggler.  He goes to his crib at night, but ends up in our bed around 2-4 a.m., because we are too tired to continue to give him the paci again or rub his back.  He is not a baby who can CIO.  I have tried, and he will cry for over an hour if you let him.  I don't rock or bounce him to sleep anymore though.  I let him get sleepy, and I lay him down and rub his back or pat his bottom.  He will fuss a little, but not long usually.

2 comments:

  1. super cute title :)
    I love the Strickland family too ;

    ReplyDelete
  2. i went to the walkin clinic that thur and they said that the day you went was one of THE most crowded they have EVER had!!! :( i'm so glad they were able to help you though, and that he's doing better. Poor thing! When they said kye had bronchitis at our visit I felt the SAME way you did..like i was a terrible mother for not bringing him sooner. We are all learning though and you're def not alone in that feeling!!!!

    ReplyDelete