Monday, January 31, 2011

24 weeks!

Well, we have made it to 24 weeks already!  Yay!  According to my What to Expect book:

Your Baby in Week 24 of Pregnancy
Your baby is about eight and a half inches long and weighs one and a half pounds, gaining steadily at a rate of six ounces per week. Much of that weight comes from accumulating baby fat, as well as from growing organs, bones, and muscle. Those little ears of hers are getting sharper and can hear very loud sounds, from a yapping dog to a jackhammer. Also by now, that fabulous face is almost fully formed, complete with eyelashes, eyebrows, and hair. Is your baby a brunette, a blonde, or a redhead? Actually, right now her locks are white since there's no pigment yet.

It gets me so excited to think about what color hair he has, and eyes.  We hope he gets my hairline, as Preston's daddy isn't as blessed as me.  Ronnie has brown eyes and I have hazel/green eyes, but we both have brown hair.  I am the only one in my family with greenish eyes though, my mom had brown, and my dad had blue.  Makes me wonder if there is a recessive gene out there that will make Preston look totally different.  Now, Ronnie was a cute baby, I mean ADORABLE!  I will have to scan some pictures one day.  Me-not so much!  haha..I had strawberry blond hair and just looked funny.  Plus I was a tiny baby, and very petite...and everyone knows fat babies are the cutest!

An overview of week 24 (and a picture!):

Leg cramps:  I have had three, all while sleeping at night.  None of them woke me up, but I sleep in the fetal position with my boppy pillow and each time, I went to stretch out my legs and OUCH!  Those cramps hurt!  I asked Stacey, my midwife today about them and she said if that happens, to flex your foot back and forth.  My mother in law told me she had the same problem and that she took calcium supplements.  Stacey told me not to, because calcium is for bones, so it would not have any benefit for cramps.  Instead, if they are more frequent, I can take Magnesium supplements, or potassium.  I bought bananas at the grocery store yesterday, and she said it was fine to incorporate them in my diet.  I don't like pills, so I take what's necessary, which are my vitamins.

A new craving:  Chocolate milk!  Oh my gosh!  I LOVE it!  I think about it all day, and as soon as I get home from school, I pour a tall glass of it!  I accidentally bought 2% milk instead of fat free one day, and I have been missing out!  Skim milk is like water compared to 2 %!  So, I have spoiled myself with a creamier milk and sugar free chocolate syrup (It had a lot less calories and sodium).  The sugar free chocolate syrup is really thin and not nearly as good.  I may buy the reduced sugar next time...

Fetal movement: I have been felling him more.  I still never notice him move during the day, but like I said before, student teaching keeps be super busy during the day.  I used to feel him get active when I was lying on my back, but now he moves around more when I am on my side.  I swear he moved around for 40 minutes straight Saturday night!  It felt like he was going crazy because I felt movement from one side of my belly to the other!
Stretch marks:  My belly button is about half way from being level with my belly.  It feels really weird.  Well I noticed this wee that there are red lines around it.  They look like little blood vessels.  Now, I have a daily regimen of Vitamin E oil, Cocoa butter, and this almond oil and glycerin lotion.  I have only focused on the belly and chest area, though I hear from friends, that I need to expand where I rub.  Ronnie should be happy with that;)  I showed them to Stacey today, and she said they aren't stretch marks!!!!  She said they look like little capillaries, and that I will notice lots of changes with my belly button and skin.  She did not rule out stretch marks, but as of now, I still don't have any.  Ok, now is the time to knock on wood, throw salt over your shoulder, and what ever else you do for good luck!
Heartbeat:  130!  Way different from the 150 we got at out last visit at 20 weeks!  She said it will be different every time I come in, and that 130 was just fine.  But it was the clearest I have ever heard it!  I guess because he is bigger, and was faced the right way:)
Blood pressure: It was a little higher than normal, but still good at 117/72.
Weight:  Oh my favorite part!  I did make sure to take my shoes off before I stepped on the scale.  I am no longer below my pre-pregnancy weight...I have gained 3 pounds since last month.  Not bad at all, since they recommend 4 pounds a month or 1 pound a week.  So, my official net weight gain is 2 pounds.  Not bad for 24 weeks I guess.

Side view at 24 weeks


Front view at 24 weeks
Oh, you may be wondering why I am not doing bare belly pictures in this post...my mother in law thinks it's "tacky and gross" to not cover the belly.  I guess maternity pictures have changed since she had kids 30 years ago!  haha..but to avoid any awkward discussions, I figured the rest will be covered...

1 comment:

  1. I love your belly :) And reading how everything is going. You'll cherish this so much as the years go on - and more and more babies :) Love ya! xoxo

    ReplyDelete