Sunday, October 28, 2012

Just a bite

Preston had a traumatic experience a daycare a month ago...he was bitten by a classmate.  :(






The bruise stayed for a little over a week, but he seemed to be okay.  Actually, it curbed him of his biting habits.  When he is frustrated, he lashes out in anger by hitting or biting.  At this time, he was biting fairly often.  I tried spanking him, and placing him in time-out (which consisted of setting him on the floor and walking away from him for a couple minutes).  Nothing seemed to be effective.  The funny thing is that several people have offered advice of biting him back as a punishment.  I could never do that, I mean it just didn't sit well with me.  I am a big proponent for modeling desired behavior, maybe it's the teacher in me, but how could I teach him NOT to bite, by biting him?  You know?

Well, since this incident, he has only tried to bite a couple times in over a month.  But now he is hitting a lot, so maybe he is channeling his frustration in a different way.  It's still annoying and frustrating.  Anyone have ideas of how to discipline for a 17 month old hitting when angry?  I do spank him when he does not follow my instruction, and is doing so purposely.  As I have stated in a previous post, these occurrences typically occur when some kind of safety in involved, such as climbing on things after I tell him he needs to get down.  Seriously though, if anyone has some good advice, I'd love to hear it!  I am afraid that my spanking him is teaching him to hit, so I wonder if he is too young to spank?

0 comments:

Post a Comment