Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Messy eater

Even though Preston has NO teeth yet, I decided to attempt some 3rd Foods baby food.  It says it's for crawlers, and he has been crawling since 6 months, so I figured it was time.  Besides, he LOVES to feed himself.  Sometimes it is impossible to feed him with a spoon anyway.  He has never been a big eater. He takes a 6 oz bottle, and only rarely will he take  a little more (nighttime bottle for instance).  So, a bottle and then food can be sometimes tricky.  I don't focus on how much solids he eats.  Up until a year old, his nutrients need to come from formula anyway.  I mainly feed him as a part of a routine, and to get him acclimated with new flavors and textures.  Now where was I????  Oh yeah, 3rd Foods.  Yeah, he HATED it!  I guess he isn't ready!  First, I tried a chicken and vegetable mixture.  I let him try it several times over a couple days, and he would make a gagging face and then push it back out of his mouth.  All the books say that a baby will sometimes deny a flavor several times and to keep trying.  Well, it smelled like puke anyway. I don't blame him for thinking it was gross!  So the other night I decided on Spaghetti sauce and pasta.  I thought for sure he would like it.  It had itty bitty balls of pasta.  Again. he'd gag and spit it out.  I was trying to cook at the same time, so I decided to put some of the food on his tray and let him "discover" the flavor and texture on his own (don't worry, I was standing right there with him the entire time!).  I kept a fleeting eye one him, but once I turned around to really look at him, I busted out laughing!  So did he!  


Messy messy boy



His grin cracks me up.  It looks like a frog grin, haha




Preston also like to make the "Indian holler" noise (I don't know what to call it, so please don't be offended if you are Native American.)






1 comment:

  1. I recommend the book baby lead weaning. Basically it talks about giving him real food instead of baby food! I never gave kye stage three, I just fed him what we were eating!

    ReplyDelete