Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lots of firsts...

Oh wow.  I have neglected by poor blog, and the few of you who actually read it.  I am SO sorry!  This time of year is very busy: Christmas festivities and sickness.  Ugh!  Preston has been so sick for almost 2 months now.  He has an ear infection throughout November.  In the beginning of December, he went in for his 6 month visit and shots. I opted to ask them to give him the flu shot, as it is all over the news to do it 6 months and up.  I have never get it.  I rarely get the flu, and I definitely don't like needles.  I am kicking myself over getting him the flu shot.  He ran a fever that night, which is normal for him after his vaccines, but he ran a fever off and on for several days, and started taking about 1/3 of his normal feeding ounces.  He would scream when he saw the bottle, and just refused to eat.  I thought that his ear infection may be back, but it ended up being a cold.  He has been on antibiotics and cold medicine for 2 weeks now, when he started coughing and wheezing.  I took him back in yesterday, and thank God I did!  The doctor said he has some fluid in his lungs and that they are swollen.  He didn't say it was too serious, but it was a good that I brought him in that day so he can get treatment before it did get worse.  Good news right now is they it isn't asthma (Ronnie had it really bad as a kid apparently).  He was prescribed Orapred, which is a steroid of asthma.  The doctor warned me that if I gave him that medicine that afternoon, that it would probably keep Preston up.  I chose to go ahead and give it to him because I just want him to be able to breathe better as soon as possible. I figured that I could just catch up on sleep today.  Oh my gosh...he was CRAZY!  I mean so wired.  He "talked" all night, but it was more like yelling at me or crying.  It hasn't helped that both Ronnie and I have a cold too, so we both just feel crappy.  Preston was up and down from 4:00 p.m. until 2:30 a.m., then we were back up at 8.  That medicine is only for 5 days thank goodness, so maybe it will do its job fast so we won't have to get a refill.

Anyway....back to my whole title of this post....there have been so many firsts since turning 6 months!  It is exciting, but bittersweet to me.  I mean, it like the Home-run Derby, he is hitting milestones back to back!  My baby is literally growing up before my eyes!  Now I am even more apprehensive to work after the summer.  A part-time job would be perfect.  40 (or more) hours away from him will be torture.  A child should never have both parents away from them that long, but many families do it and make it work.  So far Preston has started in the last month!:

crawling: 6 months, 1 week, and 2 days




pulling up to stand:  6 months, 1 week, and 1 day



 






lowered crib mattress:  6 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days







standing unassisted:  6 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days (he only stands alone fore a few seconds before falling, but he is SO brave!)





In this one you can see his hesitation in waiting for the right moment to let go.  




Also, he LOVES peek-a-boo and the song "Old MacDonald".  That is the only song that I can sing to calm him down while changing a diaper or putting him in pajamas.  For some reason, he freaks out during these events almost every time!



Preston loves it when I make the "Mmm, mmm,mmm" sound at him.  Not sure why, but it will make him smile every single time!




He is also ticklish under chin and around his upper ribs!


Ronnie was a walking baby by 9.5 months, old (I'm not sure about me), so we knew there might be a good chance that Preston would be walking by then too.  Now we think it will be much sooner, like by 8 months!  Looks like I will have a new diet plan soon!  HA!  



0 comments:

Post a Comment