Friday, July 29, 2011

The shot(s) heard 'round the world

Today was Preston's 2 month check up, which also means his first shots.  I ain't gonna lie...I was not looking forward to it.  I HATE needles.  They are right up there with snakes and bugs.  Good thing Ronnie was with us.


First the took his measurements.  He is officially 2 months and 3 days old and is FINALLY 10 lbs!
I forgot to include his percentiles in his birth story, so at birth he was:
 Weight:  6 lb 2 oz  (10th percentile)
Length: 19.5 inches (42nd percentile)
Head Circum.: 12 and 3/4 inches (6th percentile)--I guess his small head made it an easier natural delivery for sure!

Now at 2 months:
 Weight:  10 lb  (13th percentile)
Length: 22 inches (15th percentile)
Head Circum.: 15 inches (11th percentile)
He is still a little fella, which isn't such a surprise.  I am barely 5 feet tall, and Ronnie is around 5'10 I think.  He is still in his newborn clothes, which I wondered about.  The labels say for 5-8 lbs, but I guess he still fits in them because he isn't as long.  Too bad, he has so many cute summer outfits that he will have to wear in the fall and winter.  


Then we went in a room to wait for him to be checked out before getting his shots.  He has had a head cold for about 2 weeks already, so I wanted to make sure that today was a good day to do the shots.  They said that as long as he isn't running a temperature, then it should be fine.  I made sure to let him suck on his paci while she was getting the needles ready.  She was so nice, and he was looking up at her and smiling, and then she stuck him.  His face went from serene and happy to "What is the heck did you just do to me?!" screaming.  Ronnie calls him The Hulk because when he gets mad, his face turns bright red before he cries.  I wish I had taken a picture.  His face turned that beet red color, he screamed, was stone silent for what seemed like forever (I even asked the nurse to make sure he was going to take another breath), then another loud wail.  I was pitiful.  Once he was back in his Mommy's arms and was able to suck on a paci he was fine.  I feel bad because little man wasn't able to have any Tylenol.  I called ahead of time, and they told me to bring it with me, and they would administer it after they weighed him.  Of course, I get the infant Tylenol without a dropper, so they wouldn't give him any.


The nurse prescribed him some Vitamin D since I am breastfeeding, though I take plenty of vitamins and I also supplement with formula once, sometimes twice a day.  She also prescribed some Zantac because she thinks he has reflux. They have offered to prescribe it before, but I kept saying no.  I didn't want him taking medication that he didn't need.  He has been spitting up very frequently (several times a feeding lately), but in small quantities, but he never cries while eating, or after.  He spit up a lot while we were in the hospital after he was born, but it was mainly due to him swallowing amniotic fluid and blood.  By the time he was a week old, he rarely spit up until I noticed his nose was stuffy.  He does cough a lot, (since before the cold) so that is another reason he thinks he has reflux.  She said I can try the meds for 7-10 days and see if there in an improvement,  If not, discontinue and come back to see her.

Other questions I asked:
1.  If I only swaddle for when he sleeps, is this causing future damage, as in the hips?  She said it is totally fine, as long as I am giving him plenty of play time outside of it.  I only swaddle him when he starts to yawn, and I unwrap it as soon as he wakes up.   Nan thinks he looks like he is in a straight jacket and it makes her uncomfortable to see him swaddled.  She thinks it is mean.  I thought he hated it, but he really likes it now.  He gets fussy when he is sleepy, and I can swaddle him, pop in the paci and either bounce, rock, or just hold him in my arms, and he is usually calmed and asleep in less than 10 minutes.  



2.  Should I be worried that he doesn't roll over consistently?  She said that babies usually don't rollover on both sides until 6 months.  She did ask if he can go from his back to his side, or his side to his back, in which I replied yes.  I have seen him roll from his stomach to his back 2-3 times too.

3.  When can I give him water?  She said now is perfectly fine.  She said 1-2 oz 2-3 times a day.  Nan keeps asking me if I give him water, so that's why I asked.  I am not sure why I would, except for after he spits up maybe...

4.  Hand in the mouth-hungry still or is he discovering his hands?  She said either.  Ugh...that is not an answer for me!  The lactation lady told em to feed him whenever he is fussy (which I don't...usually he is fussy because he is sleepy) or if his hand is near his mouth.  In the past 2 weeks, Preston almost always has his hand in his mouth, sucking away on it.  I have a feeling that it is something new he realized he can do.  I wonder if I should try to let one of his hands of the swaddle so that he may be able to self-soother more???? Thoughts?

5. Can he go in a swimming pool?  Sunscreen?  She said to test a small spot on the babies skin, but to make sure he is in a shaded area, with long sleeves and pants, and a hat on.  Nan has a pool, and where were are going on vacation in a few weeks has a pool so I was curious.  I am okay with backyard pools of family and  friends, but public pools...ummm no thanks.


He has done great so far since we got home.  I gave him a little bit of the Tylenol just in case and he has been sleeping.  Instead of sleeping in the crib, I am letting him take a nap in his swing.  GASP!  Don't worry, this won't be the usual, but I wanted to try something.  I have been given several books from great friends about babies.  I have been reading a little out of each book when I can.  One book I was flipping through last night was Happiest Baby on the Block.  I really like the book, and I have learned a lot about how to soothe Preston.  One thing is when you swaddle, make sure their arms are straight down.  I used to swaddle him while they were bent, and he broke out of every one of them. I have the cutest swing/bouncy seat combo that some girlfriends from school got him, and he sits in it for maybe 10 minutes, and is so over it.  Well, while reading about one of the 5 S's-Swinging, it recommended swaddling the baby, popping in the paci and placing the calm baby in it, turning on white noise (the swing has nature sounds, which is very similar to the one in his room), and turning on the fastest speed.  I never tried the fastest speed, not with him swaddled.  Well, I tried it today and see for yourself:





I guess I know what to do to get him in his swing!  The only thing is..I don't want him to sleep in it, I just want him to enjoy sitting in it while I do something.  It is hard to do everything around the house that needs to be done while he is napping...I mean, I need Facebook time and blogging time!  Ha!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like he's doing awesome!!! Many comments:
    1. a TON of bw moms do this: they let the baby cio at the beginning of the nap but if the baby wakes up halfway through or later then they put them in the swing until the next feeding, maybe that's a good idea for him?
    2. i'd give him the tylenol at the suggested intervals for the first 24 hours after the shots!
    3. good luck with the zantac...infant reflux is the #1 over-diagnosed thing right now. Kye was totally misdiagnosed with it so I'm not too trusting about it! hopefully the zantac helps you guys, but if it doesn't i'd for sure stop it after the week!
    4. i also wouldn't recommend the water...they don't need it and it can thin the blood which isn't good. as long as you're nursing/feeding him and everything on his schedule then he's getting plenty of liquid and will stay hydrated (i'm assuming the heat is probably the reason nan is conserned about it?)
    5. too funny that you bent his arms in the swaddle!!! if he keeps breaking out a bunch of my friends use a thing called a miracle blanket and it's AWESOME! i hope to find some for Blitzen!
    6. I say he's probably discovering his hands...and I swear that kid has a need to suck! maybe if he does that inbetween feedings offer him the paci?
    he's doing SO great - rolling over like that is a big deal! good job preston and great job mommy ;)

    ReplyDelete