Wednesday, January 16, 2013

No crib already!

I know Preston is a little...okay A LOT young to be out of his crib.  He is small for his age... I mean he is 22 lbs, and only 31.5 inches long...he's a shorty!  But that short fella is a climber...and was so close to climbing out.  He was getting his leg up on the side, and I was just too nervous since our crib is a little tall.  He has been sleeping with us for months because of his constant ear infections.  We were never good at CIO, and he wasn't either because he only stopped a few times.  He is the type that will get worked up by crying.  Plus, it just wasn't for us:)  Not saying that it's a good or bad thing to do with a kid, just to clarify!

We have a queen bed set in our guest room, and since we never have company, I wanted to use that as his bed, but Ronnie disagreed.  He didn't want a big bed in a room where Preston couldn't play, as our guest rooms are small.  On December 30th, I converted the crib to the toddler bed with Preston.  I explained to him what we were doing, and let him hand me things.  He slept in it that night, but woke up at 3 am, so I went in and told him to lie down, and he did!  I ended up bringing a pillow in and staying on the floor just in case since we don't have a baby gate up yet.  The next day, I took him to daycare for a little bit so I could run to the store and get some things that he likes for his bed.  He LOVES Mickey Mouse, but every where I went, they were out!  Boo!  Good thing he is ALL boy, and loves sports too!


Here's a video of him seeing his "new" bed





 You can tell he likes being able to get in and out.  He is good about staying in his bed until I come get him too...for now...




 It's so cute, he'll even bring books/toys on it to play!



Below is a video of the 3 sweetest words ever....



I have been the only one to get Preston to bed EVER!  I love sharing the nighttime cuddles and kisses, but it it can be a nuisance when you have other things to do.  Since converting to a toddler bed, he goes to sleep with NO help!  Maybe it's the bed, or maybe it's the feeling better after the getting the tubes in his ears, but, Hallelujah!  I videotaped our routine so I could show Ronnie. and anyone who has to put him to sleep.  Well, last night I had Ronnie in there with us, and Preston screamed.  He is very attached to his Daddy, and I guess he wasn't ready to say goodnight to him.  I had to kick Ronnie out, and tell Preston that it was time for night-night, and that he'd see his Daddy in the morning.  He was still whimpering, but once he had his head on the pillow he was fine.  It's weird how he acts the exact opposite of what he needs sometimes.  It's good that I am willing to say no when needed, because if I didn't stay in there, Ronnie or Nan would have rocked him and pampered him, keeping him up even longer.  Anyway, the video below is our exact routine.  What you don't see is that I let him pick out a book for us to read, and then we say our prayers.  The video picks up from when we finished praying. ( I have GOT to get a video of him praying.  His folded hands are so precious!)  He goes down that easily for naps and night every.single.time (well, when it is just with me).  I literally walk out right after tucking him in.  

Our bed time routine (he loves his doggy and sleeps with him every night!  His Tootsie-our aunt- gave it to him for Christmas last year.  It's the only animal he sleeps with!



 So the side that came with the bed is not very useful...thank goodness I went to check on him before I went to sleep.  Our video monitor's night vision doesn't work, so that's why I didn't know he was like this.  At least he was still asleep!




He hasn't gotten that close to the edge since the first few days of sleeping in the bed.  I am assuming that he has become more aware of the size of his bed.  I also tuck the blanket in on the outer side of the bed just in case, so maybe that has helped. 

2 comments:

  1. Our daughter was about this age when we converted her crib to a toddler bed. Lots of people thought we were crazy, but it's what worked for us at the time! When she was about 21 months old, we converted her toddler bed to a full sized bed. She loved it, it worked great for our family, and she's never looked back (she's getting ready to turn 3 now). I just think each family needs to do what's best for them!

    Preston is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chelley! Thanks for the reassurance! It certainly caught us off guard how easily he transitioned, especially since he pretty much HATED his crib. Even as a baby, he didn't really like to be in the pack-n-play, swing, or excersaucer. I guess he just does't like to be confined?? I really would love to upgrade his bed soon though so we can cuddle before bedtime some nights. Maybe we will get pregnant soon, and need the crib back:) Nice to "meet" a new blog friend!

    ReplyDelete