Saturday, January 5, 2013

The new Preston

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would blog more in depth about Preston's experience with getting tubes in his ears.  When Preston was about 5 months old, I had to take Preston to the walk-in clinic at his doctor's office because of a cough.  When the PA looked at his ears, he commented on how they were looking perfect, and that he had the kind of ears that would not get infections, as the Eustachian tube was already angled.  Great!  Well, Preston got his first ear infection a couple weeks later! You can read about that experience here.

He continued to get ear infections, often a double ear infection.  He'd take antibiotics, and then get a HORRIBLE yeast diaper rash.  I mean, I would have to take him back to the doctor to get it seen because it was be blistered so badly.  I combated that issue by putting probiotics in his milk twice a day.  I didn't worry about requesting it at daycare.  I also fed him yogurt at least every other day.  Every time we had his wellness check-up for shots, they had to be delayed because of..you guess it..an ear infection.  We were eventually referred to an ENT, which you can read about that visit and the day of surgery here.

It is so hard to believe that it has only been 2.5 weeks since the surgery.  Everyone assured me that I would see a big improvement in his speech and temperament.  It took a few days, but our son is the new and improved Preston!  It really is like night and day!  He still has moments of tantrums, but at the typical times, like not getting what he wants, or grumpy when he is sleepy. Before the surgery, I would joke that he was bi-polar because he was happy one second, and then losing it the next.  Dealing with him was exhausting.  There have been so many wonderful moments with him, but there have also been some trying times (as with any child, or other person!).  Now, he just plays or walks around singing!  I love it!  His vocabulary has EXPLODED!  I have been trying to write down every thing he says, but I can't keep up!  Isn't that amazing?!

Before the surgery, he left out many sounds in words, but now that he can actually hear, he attempts to say just about anything you say to him!  That makes me have to think very carefully about what comes out of my mouth;)



Is this normal to want to sit in things?  He will even climb in and sit on the toys.






Here is a video of his speaking skills:)  (Warning...I have many videos to upload in the coming days!)






He also likes to cheese for the camera, and now says CHEEEEESE!


I am so happy AND relieved that this surgery (Yes, I know it is minor and common but it's still surgery) has been a success for Preston, which in turn is a success for us.  It is so much fun to name things wherever we go, and him actually respond with an attempt.  I never understood why he was so whiny and angry much of the time, but now I know.  Poor baby had no clue what was going on and was uncomfortable all the time.  Thank you God for protecting our little guy and putting him in experienced hands!


1 comment: