Well Preston turned the big ONE...a month ago! See, I'm not THAT behind! The first birthday is so exciting, mainly for the parents. I mean, that first year introduces an abundance of joy, love, frustration, more joy, more love, some more frustration...you get the idea ;)
I took Preston to a neighborhood down the street to let him enjoy their swings. My plan was to use a picture from this outing to put on his birthday invitation. I wanted to have a cute picture of him in a swing that said "Swing by to celebrate Preston's First Birthday!" However, the swings were kinda big, and we all know how small Preston is. Plus his outfit had a little firetruck on it with the number 1 on it, and I wanted that to be in the picture somehow. (Btw, I did not buy a new outfit for this photo-op. We got that outfit as as a shower gift, and it just happened to work out!)
Singing "If you're happy and you know it"...The boy loves to clap is hands!
We went when he was newly walking, so I had to get pictures of his new skillz!
The invite! I think it turned out pretty cute!
I always swore that my child's first birthday wouldn't be some big affair. I have been to some great first birthday parties (ahem... Emily), but we just don't have the money to spend on big throw-downs. Of course, we know SO many people, especially people with kids, and I couldn't not invite those who have been apart of Preston's life from the very beginning. We had around 25 people come, and that was after people had to cancel! My M-I-L couldn't understand why I had to invite so many people, but it was different 30 years ago. I mean nowadays, you have Facebook and blogs. Many more people are involved in a child's life than back then I guess. I was stressing out a little because his party was the Sunday after the last day of school...Eek! It all worked out though. Since we had so many people coming, I chose not to do parting gifts and we offered snacks for the food. We had lemonade, animal crackers, goldfish, Publix fruit tray, Publix veggie tray, Caprisuns, cupcakes, and mini-eclairs (I went to Robyn's baby shower the day before and they were served there, so I had to go buy some to get my fix!)
Side note: The Publix trays were made fresh, but were pretty expensive. The lady told me that one tray feeds 25 people was $45! Ummm...they would feed WAY more than that! I wish we had just gotten the pre-made ones that they sell in the produce section.
Anway, on to the par-tay! I bought Dr. Seuss's book Happy Birthday To You! and had guests write their birthday wish for Preston. It's a nice way to remember everyone who was able to share his special day. He is very loved by many people!
We had a few activities for the kids outside. My friend Rachel brought a plastic t-ball set and a bouncy house thing. That is her daughter, Dacey, batting!
Preston's swing set! It is plastic and small, but perfect for younger ages. We didn't want anything that was permanent since Preston is still so small and we might not be here forever.
The birthday banner that I made :)
Lots of guest enjoying the food!
Daddy and Preston grubbing out
Believe it or not, but there were still 2 pans of cupcakes that were on standby just in case...I probably gained 5 lbs over the next few days eating them :/
Preston showing me his "SOO BIG" move
I love our family!
My plan for his cake was chocolate. I mean, who doesn't love it? He had never had it up to this point, and I thought that the contrast of the dark brown and pale blue would be pretty in pictures. Well, I made buttercream icing his cake, which has a yellowish tint. I used almost an entire thing of blue food coloring and it never got blue. It was like a sea green shade. Pretty color, but did not match my color scheme at all...oh well! It doesn't look fancy, but I was literally icing it minutes before people started coming.
Preston did SO great while we sang to him...buddy must love some attention! He didn't know what to do when I set the cake in front of him. I had to show him how to use his hand as a claw. This is him taking that first taste.
Yummy!
Trying to shake the cake and icing off of his hand
He loves to show how big he is!
Love to kiss that sweet face!
Sharing with Mommy and Daddy! I was hesitant since the cake was probably in his mouth first, but what the heck!
We used this picture on his thank you cards! I love his big ol' smile!
Apparently boys' gift bags were green and blue this year!
I adore this picture! Bax was leaving and saying goodbye. Oh it melts my heart!
Our friends, the Stone's stayed to help us clean! Preston was JACKED from all the treats!
Poor Preston had his 12 month visit on his actual birthday. He ended up not getting shots because he had been running a fever for a few days and had another ear infection.
That night we ate at El Toreo for dinner so they coupld pie him in the face...JUST KIDDING! I was too lazy to cook probably (can't remember)


























0 comments:
Post a Comment